What is Pixlplay™?
Pixlplay™ turns your smartphone into a fun kids’ camera. It safely protects your Apple or Android device (not included) while encouraging creative and active play through photography. It features rubber grips, a wrist strap, focus lens & film advance with clicking sound for pretend play and includes craft activity sheets w/ stickers.
Which devices can Pixlplay™ work with?
Apple: iPhone® 4, 5, 5s, 5c, SE, 6 and 6S and 7 and iPod Touch®. iPhone 7 users will need to use the ‘lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack’ included with your device to operate the camera shutter button. Pixlplay™ does NOT fit the iPhone® 6 or 7 Plus.
Android*: Samsung Galaxy S®4, S®5, S®6, and S®7, the Google Pixel (it does NOT fit the Pixl XL)
*Some Android phones require setting up the shutter button to be controlled by the volume button and the rear (selfie camera) may be covered.
These Phones will most likely fit but we can not guarantee (we are still testing and will update this list when confirmed):
- Google Nexus 4, 5 (& 5X)
- HTC 10, HTC ONE A9
- LG G4
- Sony Xperia Z3+ (Z3 & Z5 Compact)
- NOKIA LUMIA 930
- Microsoft Lumia 550 and 640
These Phones do NOT fit:
- iPhone 6 and 7 Plus
- Google Pixel XL, Google Nexus 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 4, 5, 7, S3 Slim and Galaxy Exhibit
- HTC One M8S, HTC ONE M9
- LG Stylo 2V (or 2 or 2 Plush), LG Volt (2), LG V10
- ZTE ZMAX (2, Pro)
How big is it?
It’s about an inch and a half bigger than a Samsung Galaxy S7.
- Exterior Dimensions: (at furthest points): 7 x 4.5 x 2.68 inches (179 x 115 x 68 mm)
- Interior Dimensions (maximum outside phone dimensions):
- Largest = 5.87 x 2.93 x 0.374 inches (149 x 74.4 9.5 mm)
- Smallest = 4.54 x 2.31 x 0.26 inches (115.2 x 58.6 x 6.5 mm)
How heavy is it?
Without a phone, Pixlplay™ weighs 0.626 pounds or 284 grams. We are still finalizing the exact weight based on production specifications but we have optimized the design it to make it as light as possible.
How does it work?
Pixlplay™ uses the headphone jack to power the camera shutter button. This is a built in feature to all Apple products and most Android. Some Android phones require a change in the settings to have the volume control power the camera shutter. It’s as simple as that!
Do I need the Pixlplay™ App?
No. You can simply use the camera app included with your phone or any app available in the Apple App or Google Play store. If our stretch goal is successfully funded, the companion app will be included.
What ages is it designed for?
- Toddlers. Pixlplay™ will be tested for kids ages 3+. Pixlplay™ helps protect your phone from your youngest of kids and the rubber handle helps improve dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Ages 4-5. The working shutter button and knobs with clicking sound teach cause-effect connection and the included activities teach cognitive and language skills.
- Ages 6+. Photography is very popular among kids ages 6-9 and the Pixlplay™ activities teach kids about the fundamentals of photography.
- Even adults! The classic 35mm camera design appeals to everyone!
How is Pixlplay™ different from other kids cameras:
Other kids cameras have low megapixels, small LCD screens and software that reminds us of AOL dial up. Pixlplay™ uses your existing smartphone which makes it easy to use and provides high quality photos. It helps protect your phone with a durable design and includes activities to get kids outside and teach them about photography. If our stretch goals are successfully funded, we will include the activity cards and companion App that encourages photography.
Can I charge my phone while it's in the case?
No. Due to the large variety of cord types, you will need to remove the device to charge it. The good news is, we made it easy to open and remove your device.
How do I get the photos off it?
Since you’ll be using one of your smartphones, you get the photos off the same way you normally would (cord, text, download or however you choose!).
How exactly can Pixlplay™ work with so many phones?
We designed Pixlplay™ with an adjustable grip which makes it easy to open and hold your phone. The spring loaded design ensures the protective screen is always against your device so you can still access the touch sensitive screen.
Does it require a network plan or wifi connection?
No. In fact, it’s better to be offline. The shutter button is powered by the headphone jack so there is no bluetooth pairing or network plans needed. If you want to download any apps or share your photos, simply connect to wifi.
I’m a distributor, how do I contact you?
We are accepting inquiries regarding future distribution opportunities via email at email@example.com. Please include some background on your company and territory. Thank you for your interest in Pixlplay™!
Pixlplay™ is so unique, do you have a Patent?
Absolutely. Pixlplay™ is patent pending.